Sleep plays an important role in regulating brain regeneration, function and the production of a grown-up- stem cells. So, even if we get a disturbance in our sleep it can affect our mind and body. Memory loss, depression, and mood disorders are some of the effects that can be caused by sleep deprivation. Less sleep is also one of the reasons for heart problems, hair loss, blood pressure, and skin problems. Also, not getting proper sleep can affect a person's immune system and make them less energetic.
If you're facing problems like hair loss due to less sleep, read this article to know about how lack of sleep causes hair loss, treatment and the best ways to stop your hair loss due to sleep deprivation.
How does lack of sleep cause hair loss
The NIH (National Institutes of Health) advisory states that a person's sleep can affect their hair's health. A proper comfortable night's sleep can effectively help to restore a person's hair protein, growth hormones and important enzymes that are needed for healthy hair growth.
There are mainly 2 impacts of hair loss due to less sleep that is Stress and hormonal changes.
- The human brain produces a hormone named "Melatonin". NIH research states that the melatonin hormone helps to regulate a person's sleep cycle and while regulating it also increases the growth of hairs. Sleep has a direct impact on natural hormones in the human body. So, less sleep will reduce the amount of melatonin in the human body which results in hair loss.
- Stress is also one of the results due to lack of sleep. Research confirms that people having stress end up losing their hair. It is due to telogen effluvium. It results in the hair follicles falling earlier than normal follicles.
Hair loss treatment due to lack of sleep
Improve sleep quality
If you are experiencing hair loss due to lack of sleep it might be possible that you do not have good sleep quality. Here is some point that you can try to improve your sleep quality:
- Make your room temperature warm so that you can sleep comfortably. Temperature can be around 65 degrees F.
- Try to drink a cup of warm tea or soup for about 45 minutes before you go to bed.
- Stop using your phone or laptop for at least 1 hour before going to bed.
- Try not to sleep in the daytime. But if you do, make sure not to take a nap longer than 15-30 minutes.
- Keep your bed neat and tidy so that you can sleep comfortably at night without worrying about anything at the last moment.
- Make a proper bedtime and waking-up time so your circadian clock activates which helps in your hair growth.
Take a proper diet for hair health
- Taking a proper diet plays an important part in improving a person's hair health. Food rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, E, zinc, biotin and iron is highly beneficial for your body. There is a variety of vegetables that are rich in vitamins and minerals such as carrots, avocados, green leafy vegetables, potatoes, nuts and so on. Eating food-rich vitamins and minerals helps to maintain shiny, thicker and healthy hair.
- Always remember to take care of your mental health as well as your physical health. One of the most common and easiest ways to deal with stress is to spend time with your family and friends, practising yoga, meditation, relaxation, and exercising. Research clearly says that stress is one of the main reasons for hair loss.
Will the hair grow back if we sleep more after our hair loss due to lack of sleep?
Generally, people who stay up late at night or those who are "workaholics" face problems like hair loss due to the lack of sleep at night. Once a person's cortisol level is restored to normal levels, the body starts functioning normally and comes to normal mode. After this, all the body functions as well as the hair growth cycle return back on track.
How to regrow your hair after sleep deprivation?
To stop your hair loss due to sleep deprivation is to stop staying up late at night and start getting enough sleep. Once you start taking proper sleep and your body starts functioning normally, your body's cortisol levels will start decreasing automatically. It will eventually slow down your hair loss problems till it comes to a normal level.
It is very hard to justify what is the role of sleep in our life. There are research and studies that state that the lack of sleep can be the reason behind hair loss and hair thinning. However, sleep and stress play a role in hair loss problems. But, there can be a different reason behind your hair loss. To know the main reason behind your hair loss is to consult a doctor if the problems remain to continue.